(1:30pm – 6:30pm) 2 Days Hands-on Art and Science: Intensive Cake and Bread Course – IC1003
- This event has passed.
What to expect:
- Theory behind baking, and the different types of flours and how that affects the texture
- Functions of ingredients and the effect on the baked products
- Main categories of cakes
- Different cake mixing methods and how this affects the taste profile, texture, nutritive value of the various types of cakes.
- The use of and composition of leavening agents and their differences and effects on the PH levels, taste and texture of the baked products. e.g. soda bicarbonate vs. baking powders. Single vs. double action baking powders
- Rich dough vs. lean dough for bread making
- 2 main systems in bread baking: direct vs. indirect methods
- How to control the heat of the oven, air movement between radiation, conventional and convectional heat
- How to calculate baker’s percent and specific gravity of the cakes and how that helps in understanding the formulation of different types of cakes